Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Have you ever given your pet rat (or any other rodent pet) a bath?

yes........ my rats do NOT like water!!





it's usually not necessary to give them baths as they keep themselves pretty clean but i had to cause they got pasta sauce all over them! i followed this advise:





http://www.dapper.com.au/articles.htm#bathHave you ever given your pet rat (or any other rodent pet) a bath?
Yeah my guinea pigs have had numerous baths.





It is best to only bath them when needed (ie when dirty or have skin problem or lice) as it dries out their skin if you bath them too often.





:)Have you ever given your pet rat (or any other rodent pet) a bath?
yeah ive given my guinea pig a bath but yu have to make sure there dry first before you put them back on there cage
bunny has needed a bath because she had a dirty bum..


use proper pet shampoo or baby shampoo





the person said they do it to keep mites away.. its WRONG.. shampoo wont kill mites and if your pet isnt out with other pets where is it gonna get mites in the first place???
I know that there are waterless bathing solutions like a powder or wipes if you want your pet to smell clean. Rats should constantly clean themselves. If you are giving him/her a bath just to get him to smell better you could consider switching the bedding type because i know a couple brands make my little guy really stinky...
yes, my guinea pig- in the summer when it's really hot, he gets all lethargic- hot and bothered i guess. Guinea pigs don't tolerate heat well aparently so i gave him a luke warm bath in the sink- just an inch of water so not even up to his chin and just used my free had to put water on his back. Dried him a little bit with a towel then let him run around in the living room, he seemed much happier!
yep my guinea pig - i wash him around every two months to help keep mites away and to sooth his skin as he does get dry :)
You shouldn't, because not only does it put them through a tremendous amount of stress, but it also damages their skin and removes vital oils from their fur. Ontop of this, it can cause them to become sick. Rats have a different body temperature to humans, so what you think is a warm bath, to a rat it could be a cold bath.
My rat, Gerard, HATES water. But he loves rolling in his own pee and poo and he got really stinky, so I finally had to bathe him. I used the shampoo I use on my hair and I blow-dried him a little afterward. I also put a space heater about ten feet from his cage and let it run on the low setting overnight. He finally forgave me (I had to bribe him with a yogurt-covered raisin) and now he smells like a dream. =D
I sure have. But it was more of a recreational bath than anything. Rats keep themselves pretty clean without human interference. I had a female rat that loved to swim and I bought a little container just for her to swim in. As far as an actual bath, I did have to bathe my male rat as he got older and started developing cancer. I used Johnson's Baby Shampoo on him.
Yeah, my rats get routine baths, same with my guinea pig. It goes with their normal health checks and routine nail clipping and whatnot.
i have given by old hamster a bath he loved them for some reason lol but he is the only one i have given a bath to i wouldn't say it 100% safe for the rodent tho
Yuppers sure have 2 of my guinea pigs love the bath time but the other 2 absolutely hate it but you have to get the specially made soap for your babies or they could get sick
Yes, but only twice and it was per my vet's instruction.





I do, however, put a small amount of water in the sink sometimes (about a half inch) and let Lily play in it. She likes it. But I dont use soap or anything, just a clean sink and water, and I make sure to dry her thoroughly after.





Other than that, my rat, Carter, who passed a couple years ago, in his old age had a hard time cleaning himself, so I used baby wipes to very gently clean him up just to prevent him from getting sicker.

No comments:

Post a Comment