Friday, February 12, 2010

I have a dead rodent in the wall of my house;House is circa 1880's,tearing down walls not an option...HELP!

Smell is not real bad but it is there; only happened recently with the hotter weather. I have seen answers saying it will go away and others saying it will get worse...HELP!! I cannot afford to tear down the wall. Even if I knew just where the thing was located.I have a dead rodent in the wall of my house;House is circa 1880's,tearing down walls not an option...HELP!
The corpse will eventually dry out or be eaten by insects and the smell will go away.





In the meantime use air freshener or burn insense.I have a dead rodent in the wall of my house;House is circa 1880's,tearing down walls not an option...HELP!
it will go away. the corpse will turn to dust eventually. go into the woods, can you usmell death, no because animals die and are broken down by other animals and bacteria. believe me, it will go away.
Can you make a small hole above the rodent and spray some lime in? It will stop shortly in any case but isn't comfortable.
The smell is getting out through some holes in the wall, that the dinosaur used them. Try find all access ways into the wall. Spray polyurethane inside. Be advised it will expand. If you have no experience using it, you will probably spray too much and some will get out of the wall and ruin your carpet or whatever it touches. Ask at the store for substances to clean it.





Good luck.
We have an old house too and when we first bought this house we listened to ';creatures'; running through our walls. If this is an upstairs room, you might have access down the walls from the attic. This is going to take a lot of perseverance on your part to even find the stinky thing. If it is in a downstairs wall, if it is totally disgusting to you, you will probably have to tear out a wall. It will go away, no matter what people might say. We have torn down wall and found many a little skeleton in them. (no humans, thank God.)
You could call an exterminator to get an opinion, not to come out and take care of the situation. I bet they have been asked this alot!
It may get worse but will be gone after a while. I would not tear out all the walls unless you knew exactly where it was.
Well, if it was me........I would have a good cry first. (I hate HATE mice).





I know how awful that smell is. Are you for certain it is a rodent? Keep in mind that it could be something else.....squirrel or something. However, you know your house and the area best. It probably is a mouse, but I've heard of horror stories.





I think that if you can get through the odor, it will eventually go away as the mouse decomposes.





An exterminator might be able to give you some helpful hints. I would be worried about more mice. Usually where there is 1, there are many more.





He might be able to come out and do some preventative work so that you don't get any more. It would be easy if you had a crawl space underneath the house. ??





Best of luck to you. I would have a nervous crack up, but you sound like you are handling it like a champ!





Incidentally, I think the smell might get worse before it gets better. Hang in there and pray it's just one bast**d.
If you will not tear the wall open, you must wait. The smell will end after a couple months. Any dead animal will dry out and turn into mumified dust eventually.

No comments:

Post a Comment