Friday, February 12, 2010

Ok well im trying to figure out what type of rodent to get.? PLZ HELP SOON!?

I picked up a hamster but he bit me within the first minute. I dont think i was doing anything wrong. Kinda turned me off to them. BUT not totally if you can prove me wrong. I was wondering if mice are a good choice. PLZ HELP SOONOk well im trying to figure out what type of rodent to get.? PLZ HELP SOON!?
Well looks like RATS are a favorite here and I am going add one more for them I had a hairless female who was absolutely the sweetest thing. We took her to the lake and she was on my husbands shoulder she dove into the water and I almost paniced until she swam to me and climbed up on my shoulder. Amazing. She was so cute something about the no hair made her that way.


I rescued a teddy bear hamster once when I worked in a pet store a lady had bought it then took it home and discovered it was missing one foot on the front she brought it back and I took it home. He bit me twice once when he was in his ball he fell asleep and I reached in to put him back in his cage he let me know he didn't want to go in his home. The second I startled him when he was asleep. He used to run so fast on his wheel at night then you'd hear a thump of him getting tripped up because of his foot and getting thrown out but he kept doing it. He was sweet too.


Rodents are going to be that way if you spend enough time with them. My rat never bit I did have black hooded rats that did bite when I worked in the pet store. I seperated them from becoming pets. If you buy one from a pet store see if there is one that one of the workers is fond of on any hamsters, gerbals, rats etc... If there is then that is the one you will most likely want to buy because it is already acustom to being held.Ok well im trying to figure out what type of rodent to get.? PLZ HELP SOON!?
Mice are fantastic! i've had three...Fleur, Hermione and Stella. None of them have ever bit me, and they are very sweet to cuddle w/. they will even sit on my shoulder and let me feed them sunflower seeds! plus, most people who might be freaked out by rodents aren't scared of them due to their small size and sweet disposition - not like rats (so scary and gross!)--blech!
Rats make wonderful pets.





You can research at Ratforum.com :D
All small rodents tend to be hit or miss. I've had really friendly hamsters who have never bit anyone, and I've had bad hamsters who bite whenever possible. All of them came from the same conditions. I'm personally a big fan of the guinea pig myself when it comes to rodents. I've found that they are more likley to be friendly and they live longer then hamsters. (haveing a pet live for only 2 years is hard) Check them out, theyre really sweet and cute. :)
a husband?





I'm just kidding...sorry for the bad joke.


but i got two guinea pigs awhile back and they were really sweet pets. i had to get rid of them however because i was allergic and my eyes itched like crazy when they were house....ugh. but they were really good pets.
the unfortunate fact with rodents is that they are very hard to tame especially hamsters. there are a couple of things you need to remember. A hamster is nocturnal and when you pick it up you are disturbing it and it is bound to be grumpy. Hamsters are very cute but happen to be one of the more nippy rodents. The biting issue is a common issue in almost all rodents. I would pick up a rat though it may nip at first after a little work it will be perfect a bunny isn't that bad either. How ever almost all rodents can be tamed but some take much more work than others!!
Been there done that.


The Hamsters and gerbils bite.


The mice bite less, but they poop as the walk. It's like the truck that paints the dotted lines in the road, like they need to follow the poop trail back home like Hansel and Gretel.





Guinea Pigs are cute but we needed something smaller....


We got pet rats! They were so sweet and NEVER bit my sons, even though they were 4 and 6 years old and did not handle very gentle all the time. I got myself a cute little brown and white female baby for my 40th birthday. She was a wonderful ambassador for her much maligned species.
Hamsters don't do much...they are happy on their own and can be quite unfriendly, mice don't do anything really either but run around. I have two female rats, very sociable, they actually look forward to interacting with their owner and coming out to play and see the house. Mine were handled from babyhood, never have bit me or my kids, they will lick my hand if it smells like food though. They will run around on the couch when we watch tv, if they get frightened they run onto your shoulder and hide on me, they don't just run off like a mouse or hamster will and never come back. You can teach them to come to their name as well, they are extremely smart and contrary to what some say they do not carry disease, pet rats and sewer rats are not the same breed. Google pet rats and you will find a ton of information and stories and pictures of rat owners...my preference is the two females, the males do have a stronger musky pee smell from marking which the females do not do.
If you want someone to prove you wrong, that hamsters are a good pet, then I don't think you should get a pet, unless it is a fake one. Too many people just get a pet with out doing any research, reading about them, etc. Personally, I don't care for hamsters, but that is mainly because I like rodents to have tails. My sisters and best friends have syrian and dwarf hamsters and they love them. I have gerbils and love rats. It just depends. But if you get ';turned off'; just because one bit you, then you don't seem like a suitable pet owner.


I probably will get tons of thumbs down, but that is what I believe.


Too many people are ignorant with rodents and don't treat them as near as well as they should be treated.
rats are awesome for pets.


they don't bite unless they are feeling very threatened. i had 12 rats at one time for a period of 7 yrs and the only time one bit me was when my female was getting ready to give birth and i didn't realize it.


when i went to take her out of her birthing box to clean it she bit me. that's the only time any of the rats ever bit and it didn't even break the skin.





rats are trainable, cuddly, playful, and they all have unique personalities.


they are easy to clean up after and eat anything in the house. they don't get smelly like mice and hamsters as long as you keep their cage clean and most love playing in water during bath time.


i wish you the best with whatever you decide on.
Rats are extremely affectionate and loyal. Their only downside is that they only live 2-2 1/2 years.
Mice are ok, and less likely to bite than hamsters or gerbils, but I would highly recommend a rat. They are intelligent, social, clean if housed properly, and the least likely to bite of any rodent. Just google ';pet rats'; to get tons of info!





I've had several when I wasn't able to have a dog, and they learned to come when called, did some tricks, and really enjoyed being handled and interacting with me.





Guinea pigs are docile too, but not nearly as smart as a rat.





Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment